Monday, February 28, 2022

The Legend of Voxmachina Part 2: The Review Part 1

 Bidet Critters,


 

Well today, as promised, I'm gonna bring you my review of The Legend of Vox Machina. As I mentioned in the last post I've been so excited since they announced they were making an animated series to campaign one of Critical Role. I found myself imagining if my favorite scenes would make the cut, what they might look like, and wondering what would be changed. So to fully give you my thoughts on the season we'll take this episode by episode. I'll give my thoughts and observations for each one, and then end with an overall review. Now originally there was just going to be two parts to these Legend of Vox Machina posts, but as I was writing this post, I realized it'd be a monster post doing all 12 episodes in one, so I'll do the first half of the episodes in this post then finish in a third part. Sound like plan? Okay let's get at it! 

Warning if you haven't seen it, there might be some spoilerish things here because I'm writing it as if you've seen the episodes, I'm going to try not to do any major spoilers though if I can help it. So if you don't want to know anything about it, may want to skip this post and the next.

The Terror of Tal'Dorei Part 1-

OK, so right off the bat I think you'll realize this is an animated series not suitable, for work, children, or the squeamish. Lot's of language, gore, and adult thingds.  Yeah so there's your warning. 

Can we just fan over the fact David Tennant, 10th Doctor and Good Omens' Crowley, is doing a voice for this show. When I first learned he was going to be in this, one I freaked, and two I'm like how'd they rope in this talent for their show, I didn't even know something like this be on his radar, until you remember him and Sam Riegal worked on the new Ducktales together, which is also an awesome show. 

The first scene with Vox Machina, which had been one of the sneak peeks we got of the show,  I think just sets the tone for this group, and campaign one in general. I love the exchange between Vax and his antagonist. Love that moment you make your big winded enemies mess up beautifully. The ensuing fight was so hilarious. Although I will admit the projectile puck to the mouth, made me cringe and wanna gag, I got a thing about puke a bit, but still a gross yet effective way to throw off your assailant even if it was accidental.

I love we have a part where Scanlan is peeing on a Matt Mercer looking character, voiced by Matt Mercer. I'm just wondering who came up with that bit the writers or the original cast? Is this commentary for those times the players in game has peed on Matt's plans for a campaign. DM's know what I'm talking about.

I love Scanlan's music, that was one aspect of this I was wondering how it'd be done. In the original web series Scanlan's songs were the best, but they usually were parodies of main stream songs, I was hoping they'd find someway to leave that element in, of course I knew they'd have to create it from scratch, and I have to say it doesn't disappoint.

Now, this first episode and it's second part are an adventure we never saw in in the original web series, this adventure took place in the home games, we only hear about it in the gang's remembrance when they have to revisit it later.

Then of course there's the end of the episode that pulls at your heart, that you hate to happen, but you know for story and character progression purposes has to happen to get this unlikely group to come together to whip evil's butt.


The Terror of Tal'Dorei Part 2-

In this episode we have Felicia Day voicing the Captain of the army, which not surprising given her involvement with the show, and sad to say not surprised the outcome for her character. I feel like I've seen so many of her characters end up like that. 

In this episode is where we seen the opening used for the first time, which was another sneak peek fans got before the show. Is this similar to the tune they eventually would use for their campaign one opening? I think it's beautifully animated. The animation on this whole project is amazing, and in some cases very grossly disturbing, but that's how you know it's well done when animation can leave you awed and grossed out.

I love Scanlan is is unfazed by royalty. He is himself no matter who is standing before. I respect that. I also love the little mini bear cuddles scene. Trinket who is vicious in battle being cuddle like a living teddy bear. I love it so much! Trinket should have all the cuddles.

This is the first episode we see the glorious Gilmore in all his glorious...ness? One of my favorite NPC characters from campaign one. When he is around his energy just makes you smile. The shop is more beautiful than I could ever imagine, and for those who are familiar with campaign two, did you see the book? I know! Awesome little nod to the Might Nein era!

Vox Machina versus the door scene, another sneak peek we got. I love how they took a joke from like midway in the campaign, and made it an official thing through out the animated series. For those who are new to this world who are wondering did Vox Machina really have this much trouble with doors in the web show, yeah at some point doors became the real enemy of this group.

These episodes have actually helped refresh my memory of elements of the series. It's been three years about since I've seen campaign one, and I've only had the pleasure of one watch through. So I love how my fuzzy memory has allowed some moments to be a mystery up to the "oh yeah that happened" moment. 

This dragon fight scene is amazing, and the blue dragon alone is a work of art. Dragons often can be some of the most beautifully done beings in a fantasy animation, and this one is amazing. I was just staring at it like what a animated master piece.

We have first look at the Briarwoods. I don't know why I get a kick out of the scene where Lady Briarwood is calmly sipping her tea in the foreground while her husband is in the background dealing with the ruffians. Yes, my humor can get pretty morbid at times.

The Feast of Realms-

I enjoy the little scene in the morning. The gentle chaos of it that really gives sense of the bonds these guys have: from their jokes, to not batting an eye when Keyleth's birds land on the table as she makes her perky entrance, even their bickering shows their a tight knit group who's become accustomed to each other's eccentricities.

The gang's entrance at the ball is great. A rag tag team trying to be "dignified", and you can tell Percy is the only one who truly in his element. Scanlan's codpiece totally puts me in the mind of the voice actor's costumes from the live shows. Yes he lit in up on occasion.

I'm happy that Jenga's still the safe word of the group for when their in trouble. I'm so glad that made it to the animation from the web series. I also smiled when I saw Vax's snake belt, I forgot about the little guy. I'm not even a fan of snakes and I find this little guy cute.

I feel so bad for Percy in this episode, first nightmares, then seeing the people responsible for them. Talk about dinner nightmares, it's always so awkward when they set you across from you family's murderers. Even worse when they have tainted your family legacy. The Briarwoods are amazing villains though are they not? Dark, calculating, and deadly, but refined. Silas is the ever classic, sophisticated vampire complete with a blood thirsty blade that's black as his soul.

I find it interesting the juxtaposition of the dark, bloody battle taking place outside to the ridiculous, funny performance of Scanlan's going on the inside. We finally see an even darker side to Percy, and his plague doctor chic. Those new to the realm can see why he earned the fan title of "No Mercy Percy".

Shadows a the Gates-

In this episode we find the party under house arrest in their keep, as result of their actions in the last episode. Confining this lot to one space... yeah what can possibly go wrong there? Nothing much just some middle finger battling between Vax and Scanlan, a brilliant, but batched escape attempt led by Percy, and oh yeah an army of undead trying to murder them for an old creepy tome... Any one else have a scene from the 90's The Mummy pop in your head.

We have Jarret in the series for the first time, who is elevated to the role of a Captain. In the web series is one of their keeps' guards Vox Machina hired. Either way he guarding this lot, so his character's essence is still similar .

I think Grog eating the ashes of Pike's ancestors in his search for food is one of my favorite bits of new humors material that has been brought to this version of the story. I enjoyed the exchange between Pike and Grog, really one of the sweet moments in this series that showcases how close they are as friends and also shows Grog displaying a rare moment of profoundness. 

Anyone else in the scene with the napping guard get some Ghostbusters Dana be taken by Zuul vibes with that? Am I the only one? Plus I'm also getting like some like The Exorcist or other movies involving possession notes during the battle. *shivers*

Ok, the undead in this is creepy as all get out. I mean they look terrifying and plus seeing what they can do to a body. I'd go as far to say if your easy to scare and/or have an overactive imagination, don't watch this episode at night by yourself. If you do I recommend watching something lighthearted and fuzzy afterwards to nullify it before you go to bed.

The end of the episode of course has the group splitting with a couple members of the party. Pike I was expecting due to the fact for a portion of this game play Ashley Johnson was very scarce due to her job on a show, which of course took precedence, so they had to creatively come up with a reason for Pike's absence in the original game play. Then there's Trinket, while I love the bear with all my heart, I know why they left Trinket behind, because I remember in the game the mobility of Trinket was such a difficult thing for the party, and since we've yet to reach that point in the story where they find something to aid that, I guess everyone decided for story flow sake and party traveling ease to leave him safely behind. I'm not sure if that was what they originally did during this journey in the web series.

Fate's Journey-

Here we have the gang at Gilmore's shop really taking the just really taking the concept of showing up at your besties' place and just cleaning them out of stuff to a new level. What is more sad Gilmore doesn't even look surprised to find them doing so and despite trying to steal from him he just let's then saty and carry on like normal.

Grog missing Pike is so sad, yet cute. You just wanna give him a big hug.  As for the big scary dog like creatures. If it wasn't for the fact their creepy beyond reason and full of dark magic I'd say there's you some guard dogs. Then there's poor Scanlan giving a new meaning to getting tongued; which anyone else surprised in the scene with them revisiting their strangest kills that Scanlan's involved a romantic encounter? Me neither.

The bit at the end with the warning at the sun tree for Vox Machina. I forgot that happened and uh hit me harder I think than in the web series. It's always really hard too after they show the people living their lives or having happy moment, then you see horrible things befall them. It rips at your heart even more.Then if that wasn't bad enough the credits have this sad music with the sound of the weighted rope swaying in the breeze, which just makes it all eerie. 

Spark of Rebellion-

This episode finds Dominic Monaghan voicing the rebellion leader Archibald. I have a friend who loves the actor who might decide to watch the series for that alone. That was also one of the surprising voices I found being part of the cast. I also was delighted to find Gina Torres (Zoey from Firefly/Serenity) playing Keeper Yennen, an excellent choice for that.

I like in this series we get more glimpses of what Pike was doing in her time apart from the group. In the original we'd only see her on and not see really a lot what she'd been going through on her end.

I found the group's ridiculous plan's of rescue complete with cute, crude doodles a nice light moment in all the darkness. I really love Scanlan the Revolutionary, with his beret. That drawing is just cute and funny, it just makes me smile.

Percy with Bad News on the roof with that coat billowing in the breeze... I don't what it is just loving Percy in this series. He was my second favorite character in the web series. Vax being first and being tied with Vex, but in this season of this show, Percy is shining for me. Now in later seasons, which really hoping for more seasons, that may change, but for now, loving the stoic, brilliant aesthetic Percy is projecting, you know when not being overtaken by darker entities.  

I don't know what it is, but I especially in a fantasy world, love story lines where we see these hidden factions of rebellion in a secret hide outs plotting the down fall of evil overlords, then little by little start bringing them down.

Whew, that's a lot. I basically just relived college. As film student we watched movies where our teachers would pause it every few minutes to point out something or another. Well since I was writing each little write up while watching each episode, I had to stop the video a few times to be able to get all my words out so I could focus. Doing six episodes in such a fashion, yeah takes a lot out of you, because I've been working on this for a couple or so days feels like. So I'll end it here and get back with  part three hopefully sometime this week. Gonna take a day or maybe two to recharge and not work on a blog post and just rest. So I'll see you all in the next one.

*Thrifty Geek*



No comments:

Post a Comment