Monday, July 8, 2019

Summer Reads

Happy Monday my friends,

I recently did a write up of my summer playlist, well in this post I'll be covering my favorite  summer themed reads from over my life. It's not a big list, I may add to it as I find more. So for now enjoy this short list.

The Ghost at Dawn's House (Baby-Sitter's Club #9) by Ann M. Martin
This first book on this list is my favorite book of all in the Baby-Sitter's Club series, I mentioned this in my 9C list post. This book is a summer adventure involving secret passages, a possible haunting, and it got me interested in hollow books if I'm not mistaken. It contained everything a good ghost hunting story a kid needed, even though it probably was not the smartest idea for my over active imagination. I read this in elementary school so it should be safe for your kids, it's not too scary.

Baby-sitters on Board! (The Baby-Sittter's Club Special #1) by Ann M. Martin
Yes another BSC book, but this one is puts me in a summer mood more than the first one. I mean it's set on a cruise ship and at Disney World, that's a Summer vacation dream there. This book inspired some of my summer hi jinx when I was younger. One of the characters Mallory had just read Harriet the Spy so she plays spy the whole trip, which inspired me to play spy on a camping trip. I had a notebook and would document the people and things I saw at the campground.

Disney Adventures July 1st 1995
My sister and I were subscribed to the magazine as kids. I still have a lot of the old issues in one of my book shelves, but this and a few others that were my favorites went missing over the years. The main article was about Batman Forever and since this was during the POGS craze I think they had like the origin story of them, a topic I plan on talking about later. Anyway the big thing that I poured over was the "101 Ideas for Sizzling Summer Fun". This had so many great ideas for summer vacation, I think I'd take this out when I'd got for a walk just to inspire my imagination, I don't know if I did any of them, except maybe the one that said count you mosquito bites. Those bloodsuckers love me. *scratches bites*

Ghost Cat by Beverly Butler
This is another ghost related book. Even though I'd forgotten most of the book the one thing that I remember was the scene the main character has with her elder relation as he's showing her how to use a compass. This is a good summer ghost story. I read this in middle school so it might be better for your preteen maybe older child, cause there is some scary parts in this.

Horse Crazy Series by Virginia Vail
First I gotta thank the Unicorner for helping me remember the name of the series. I went through a stage were I was into horses so this book about a summer horse camp, was perfect for me, even though I'm too scared to ride one. There's only six books in the series. Each book follows a week at the six week camp. If you have a horse lover in need of a summer read this is a good series if you can find it, I read it in middle school I think, but I think it may be ok for kids.

YM June/July 1995
This come out around the same time as the Disney Adventure previously mention so it had Chris O'Donnell from Batman Forever. This also had an article with Summer ideas for teens called "Real Life Summer Sizzle", what was with using the word sizzle that year? It basically gives 95 ideas for the summer of '95. I have the article in a summer scrapbook. I actually didn't get this magazine for maybe a few years after it come out, cause I was only like 10. It was in some hand-me-downs from some family members. I don't know if I kept this on me during the summer like I did the first magazine, I probably did. Looking back over this article it really takes you back to days of phone cards and early online computer accounts.

Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen
I did a write up about this book not to long ago. But I thought it was a perfect adult book for the list, I finally have a good adult book to add to the summer list. Allen casts that magic realism spell on a lake in Georgia, is that the right term magic realism? There is a sadness to the book, but the descriptions of summer just put you in a summer mood.

What books are your favorites to read during the summer? What was a favorite summer read of yours as a child? Let me know in the comments.
Hope you guys have a good week, read lots, and God bless you!

Ninja <[0000]---------------[0000]> Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment