Monday, February 26, 2018

Musical Moment- Taylor Swift's Red

Welcome to another Monday my friends,

This week we dive into Taylor's last country album, well for now maybe cause we don't know where her musical journey will take her, Red some of my most favorite Taylor tunes come from this album. So let's trudge on:

Artist: Taylor Swift
Album: Red
Released: 2012



Cover:  Taylor is sporting some red lipstick. The use a bold kind of type for it all including for the first time Taylor's name, which is in white. Red is in all caps and well red.

Booklet: There's a Prologue once more that talks the album theme and Red. The lettering is in red save the word red, which is grey. Prologue and a quote from Taylor's State of Grace song, plus her signature. All the song titles are in white, for some reason certain words are underlined. It's almost like another hidden code, but I don't think it is. The lyrics, with the hidden code, are in red, with people who worked on the song in grey, and when red comes up in the son it's written in grey. The photos are made to look vintage, Taylor reminds me of some past movie star in some of them.   The last page has her in the outdoors, sun shining down. White top with black accents, black shorts holding her shades she was rocking in other pics and some teal nail polish.

Back Cover:  Inside back cover has Taylor in a field with a yellow dress and sunglasses on waving. There are vertical white and see through strips With the simple words "Thank You." beside the artist.  Outside back cover has Taylor in the yellow dress. The background is grey the record label emblem is an off white The title is in red like the cover and rest of the writing is in white.

The Disk: White background the red vertical strips, Taylor's name and album title are also in red, the rest of the words and label emblem in grey.

The Music:

State of Grace- Another solo Swift written song, about the game of love. I don't know if it's the vintage theme pics I've been looking at or what, but the music sounds like something from the past, not sure 100 percent what decade, but that is the vibe I get.

Red- Taylor solo writes a song about a love she can only describe in the color red. you know there is something to be said about associating things with colors. There's certain songs that I associate with colors even if colors don't come up anywhere. JK Rowling even did a write up on Pottermore on the subject of color associations. This is another one of those songs just would feel right playing through you car speakers, maybe it's the mentioning of a car?

Treacherous- Written by Swift and Don Wilson of the that person you should walk away from, but your gonna fall and get sucked in anyway, or for a more geeky look at it, it's like me and the show Doctor Who. One episode and I was in the Time Warp Rabbit Hole.

I Knew You Were Trouble- The song of a woman who despite knowing a guy is trouble, she falls and becomes another of his conquers. This was written by the trio of Swift, Max Martin, and Shellback. There sound like a hammer on rocks in certain parts of the song, or something mechanical. I remember this video had Taylor in a desert with I think her hair cut short for the first time. I don't know if it's just me but it's like Treacherous and  I Knew You were trouble almost could be companion songs.

All Too Well- Written by the famous writing pairing of Swift and Liz Rose about remembering the bittersweet memories of a broken love.

22- Swift, Max Martin, and Shellback pen one of my top Taylor songs.We have a group of peeps heading out into the night and "feeling 22".  I just jam to this song when ever I hear it.  My favorite line is where she's talking about instead of sleeping they'll be dreaming. To me this is talking about being a wide eyed dreamer again, something I think we all need to tap back into once in a while or else were just brain dead zombies trying to get through life. Actually, one of my favorite scenes in the video happens when this line is sung. Taylor is sitting on a rock by the beach singing, and looking like she's lost in a daydream.

I Almost Do- Taylor writes about a person wondering what their ex is doing, and trying so hard not to get in contact with them cause they don't wanna take the chance of another heartache.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together- the a fore mentioned trio is writing of an off and on again relationship and how the chick is saying this break up is the final one. I remember there were two videos to this song, the lyric video then the official music video that came later. I remember on CMT's making of special that her band thought they'd be in normal costumes for once, then she put them in animal outfits. I'm also amazed that this is a one continuous shot video, and we're talking complicated scenes and costume changes included! Anyone else join in on the weeeees?

Stay, Stay, Stay,- Another solo wrote song. We have a cute little bubbly number about why this person wants the person's their with to stay with them. My  favorite part of this song is after a fight where she's thrown something at him, she decides to talk it out rationally which he only agrees to with the protection of a football helmet.

The Last Time- This song features Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol who wrote this along with Swift and Jacknife Lee. It's almost like a darker toned We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together except they do apparently get back together, but this will be The Last Time it happens.

Holy Ground- Taylor writes about a woman remembering a past romance and the places they stood being Holy Ground, and going to dance, but not without him, but I guess doing it anyway and just pretending he's there... That's best description I got.

Sad Beautiful Tragic- Solo written tale of another love story turned into a tragic ending.

The Lucky One- I think Taylor may have wrote this based off a real life celebrity. It's about someone being lucky and becoming famous, then the hardship of such a life, and with luck once more got out of the biz intact.

Everything Has Changed- Ed Sheeran joins Taylor in the singing and writing of this tune, actually doesn't he sing a song with her on the Reputation album? It's about those moments that suddenly change you life in this case the meeting of a person.

Starlight- The final two songs of this album are solo written by Taylor and this song like 22 is one of my top favorite Taylor tunes. In my head I have an entire performance worked out for this, hey when I imagine I imagine big. I also can't help think of that Doctor Who episode back in David Tennant's era when he runs into space ship version of the Titanic (sorry have got Doctor Who on the brain lately).

Begin Again- A song about a woman beginning again with a new relationship, and apparently a better one than her last one. I also feel it's like the song title is telling you to begin the album again.

And so we close the door upon this country chapter of Taylor's career. As usual if you got any thought or memories surrounding this album leave a comment. Next week will be the final installment of this Taylor journey since that's the last album I have at the moment.

I hope and pray your week is good, always keep a good song in your ear, and may God bless you!
Ninja <[0000]---------------[0000]> Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment