Friday, August 9, 2019

The Ninja Writer's Library- The Wood Cutter Sisters Series

Happy Friday Book Lovers,

In today's segment of the Ninja Writer's Library we are looking at some of Althea Kontis'
The Wood Cutter Sisters series. A realm where  fairytales collide.

Enchanted: The Woodcutter Sisters Book 1 

Continuing from the last book I reviewed: Spelled (The Storymakers) by Betsy Schow, we have another retelling of fairy tales. Though unlike in the last book where there the fairy tales were mashed together in that world, it felt like they were a subtle blend in this world.

I like the use of the Monday's Child in the story, the link actually mentions this book series. I guess that's why I like Sunday cause I was born on a Sunday, though I do not fit the poem at all. Sunday also collects stories which I think is cool, and gets lost in her own world, I'm guilty of that too.

The book held enough mystery to keep me interested to wanting to know what was going to happen. If you love fairy tale retellings this the series for you.


Hero: The Woodcutter Sisters Book 2 

This book's focus is on Saturday, the tomboy of the sisters, and the one who is perceived the normal one amongst all the magical siblings. The other main character is Peregrine a prince trapped at the top of the world. These two characters cross paths after Saturday accidentally breaks the world and is eventually captured and taken to the top of the world.

The first book in the series I knew what fairy tales were used, but I'm not familiar with most of the ones in this one except Snow White that briefly pops in. I like the character of Betwixt, I think I got that name right. He's a chimera I think and always transforming between beings that is a mix of two animals. My other favorite thing in this book is Saturday's ever-changing name day gift it was a axe, then a sword. It'd be cool to have something like that!

Dearest: The Woodcutter Sisters Book 3

This is the story of Friday Woodcutter, the sister with mystic sewing skills and full of kindness. We get to see the events of the previous book from the people in the kingdom, and how they endured during the upheaval of their world.

This was another beautiful blend of fairy tales we saw, I can't remember the name, but it involved swan princes, the swan princess, even the Darlings from Peter Pan appeared in some form in this fairy tale clash.  I love how the author puts her own unique spin on them. I especially she did with the one swan brother who was particularly cursed, much cooler than the version I read in this fairy tale book as a kid.

Sadly this is the only three my library has at the moment, maybe I'll be able to continue the series at some point.


Are you guys reading any good books? If so let me know in the comments. I hope you all have a good weekend, read lots, and God bless you!

Ninja <[0000]---------------[0000]> Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment