Friday, February 15, 2019

The Ninja Writer's Library: Strange Happenings

Happy Friday friends and lovers of books,

Well it's 2019, and I got more books to read! I've set my Good Reads reading goal to 20, I know I read 30 last year, but I don't wanna put pressure on myself. But according to my progress I'm two books ahead of schedule, gotta love that speed reading ability. So let's tackle my first four books of the year!

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

I've seen the movies and as what has become habit I've now read the book. It was a good read, a good little romp into modern Geek mythology. I loved learning that some historical figures were children of the gods. I also learned how to say "Eat my pants" in Latin. If your a fan of stories involving Greek gods give it a read!

Tales of the Peculiar by Ransom Riggs


If you recall last year I did write ups for a couple of his Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children books, well this is the book they used in that series to help them on their journey. You'll find some familiar tales and even the origin of the children's  bird protectors.
It was a good light read, nice to learn of more types of peculiars and the history. I like that Millard, one of Miss Peregrine's children, was given his own author page for compiling these tales.  If your a fan of this realm you should add this to your read list.

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen


My third read for the year. I enjoy Allen's books  they have this sleepy magical vibe. Yeah that's a strange description, but I can't describe it better. Here we have a small town mystery and people trying to find their true selves. I was happy to have a character from I believe Garden Spells making a little cameo in this book.
On the book's segment of her site she says she was inspired by the towns in Transylvania County NC, which I can attest to given I spent many summers there as I was growing up, and attended it's Halloweenfest for a few years after college. If you love your mystery to have a little hint of the mystical then read this book.

The House With a Clock In Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1) by John Bellairs

Back in November Fangirl and I went and saw the movie to this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. So later I decided to check the book out, one wait list wait later, which doesn't surprise me in light of the movie, I got it. The first half of the book follows the movie mostly then it veers off, but that's not a bad thing. This is one of the cases where I enjoy the book as I do the movie.
I always find it interesting to see how tiny things in books get magnified in the movie. Like Lewis' Magic 8 ball which was featured throughout the movie, only is mentioned toward the end. The clock in this one isn't on the scale the movie's is, but for movies you gotta make things more epic for the screen.
My favorite part of this book is Lewis' first night in the house, and he decides to read. This kid knows how to read. A comfy bed, a quiet time where he won't be disturbed, and chocolate, what more could you ask for? If you loved the movie give the book a try.

Well that's does it for my first reads of the year. I definitely have a couple series here I'd like to continue reading. Gotta a lot on my wait list, so hopefully we'll have another visit to my library very soon. Have a good weekend, read lots of books, and may God bless you!

Ninja <[0000]---------------[0000]> Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment