Friday, May 10, 2019

Free Comic Book Day 2019


Happy Friday Friends,

In today's post we'll be talking Free Comic Book Day (FCBD), I may have mentioned it before but this is one if not my favorite geeky holiday.

Prep

I prepared for the day by painting my nails as close to a comic book yellow as I could get ( I used a wet n wild® yellow). Then using a technique I learned a long time ago somewhere on Facebook I guess I added newsprint to it. This is achieved by soaking your nails in alcohol and laying a piece of news print over your nail briefly and the words will transfer. Sadly you can't see the news print well in this picture.


Goodbye?

On to the day itself,  the morning which smelled so good. We went to our usual first FCBD stop Hero Hunter comics, which had moved and seemed to be closed. We learned from a guy later that they'd closed the week before. I don't know if it's permanent or what.


Morgan's Comics

We headed to Morgan's Comics, and ran into the guy who use to own Not So Old Toys and Comics, he may still he said he might come back so not sure. A lot of unsure on businesses on this day.
It was sensory overload as it usually at comic shops during FCBD. There were free comics, figures, and an old NES system. Saw a really nice Batman costume and a woman with I assume her kids who was dressed in a cute TARDIS dress. I ended up picking up a couple d10's to add to my collection:


I've done named them so that'll be part of a dice naming post at some point.

Comic Envy

Our next Stop was Comic Envy where Captain Sparrow was manning traffic yet again, he had a few helpers later encouraging people to stop by. 



 One of my favorite costumes I saw here was the worker dressed as Luna Lovegood, one of my favorite characters from Harry Potter. I also ran into an old Film and Video classmate. He was geeking out with his sons. I ended up purchasing a couple comics, one being Marvel True Believers® #1 Earth's Mightiest Hero Captain Marvel. Ever since her movie she's made my top three superheros. I can't tell you the second one cause it's a gift for someone.




The Wayvern's Tale
We popped next door at The Wayvern's Tale, a cool gaming store that has become part of our FCBD rounds. So many games and stuff I wanna purchase, but then I'd be broke. I did get couple dice. One as a gift, and this cute little one:

For some reason this dice reminds me of Big Hero 6's Baymax.
I also saw the TARDIS Mom again, so nice to know we weren't the only one's making rounds to the nerdy stores that day.

Avengers: Endgame


We then headed to the movie theater for lunch and to see Avengers: Endgame. All I can say is wow! It was an epic movie with epic feels. I may have actually shed a tear or two. *warning channeling Captain Malcom Reynolds* I got goosbumps during this movie. If you haven't seen it, see it before it gets spoiled for you if you can.

And can I just say what Stan Lee says for his final cameo is good words, though I think "Excelsior" would have been more perfect. I just hope they find ways of honoring him in other movies.

Other Geeky Haul

After the movie to move around a bit, and maybe a bit of retail therapy, we did some shopping. I came across the entire first season of Angel which I happily purchased given I have yet to get any Buffyverse episodes yet.

Geeky Inspiration

As I was out I found myself being inspired by what I saw, so I crafted a poem:

FCBD 2019 Observations

The floral scents of morning
 Sweetly kiss the nose
Are we saying goodbye
To the one who introduced us to this day?
The Wendy's worker in the mascot's clothing
Dances on the roadside with balloons tied to her arms
A sidewalk traveler spontaneously busts a move
While at a stop light a driving woman sings to the music
A familiar face pops up at a new place
Someday he might return to us
A stop sign has become a vegan's message
"STOP eating animals"
A band jams under an overpass
Beneath the flying squirrels
The purple bus zooms by
Proclaiming someone's done weirder
The afternoon rain drenches the world
As an epic battle plays before our eyes

So did you guys have any favorite comics from this year? I'm still working through mine. Right now no surprise my favorite is Doctor Who. I hope you have a good weekend, geek it up, and may God bless you!
Ninja <[0000]---------------[0000]> Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment