Monday, May 9, 2022

Free Comic Book Day 2022

Hey My Fellow Comic Book Nerds,

Today is all about Free Comic Book Day.  It's that day special day of the year comic book store offer up free comic books from some best in the game. Comic companies make special comics to offer up that give fans a taste of their comics. It was started as a way to introduce new readers to the comic book genre. It's always held the first Saturday in May, with the exception of last year due to Covid and it was in August. Well this year was back at it's regularly scheduled time, and while I still masked up and was careful despite having all my shots, I found it less Covid Anxiety inducing than last year. 

Outfit:

So first things first I needed the right outfit, now I don't usually cosplay for FCBD, but I do like to geek it up. Take last year I heard there was going to be a Critical Role comic so I wore the shirt I have from the show in honor of it, and it made a great picture. So this year when with my hat Fangirl made me that's adorned in nerdy pins. I did a variation on my yellow newsprint nails, and actually did comic print ones, that heart ring in the pic was made by Fangirl as well. Wore some Legend of Zelda socks, my Docs that recently got a hand colored pink skull upgrade, my Mom decorated "My Geek is Showing" shirt, I wanted to do something with a plain red shirt, unfortunately my handwriting is crap. Then I finished off with some geeky jewelry first this necklace, made by you guessed it Fangirl, she gave this to me on what I call my "Bad Wolf" birthday and since Doctor Who was on my mind I see a blue box with stars two hearts and thought aw it's Doctor Who themed! Well until I found out she hadn't made it with those intentions years later, oh well it still reminds me of Who. Which congrats to Ncuti Gatwa on being named the new Doctor, look forward to Traveling through Space and Time with you! I also wore this beaded bracelet I received as a favor from the Marshmallow Rainbows Maid Cafe at AARC one year. If this con returns next year with the maids you should check them out.

The Places:

Comic Envy



Our first stop was Comic Envy in Asheville on Merrimon Avenue. Of the two comic book stores we frequent this is the one we've been going to the longest. We were greeted by this lovely lady who I'm almost certain is Jean Grey, let me know in the comment if I'm off:



X-Men have Comic Envy Covered

 

There were comics a plenty to choose from. I didn't have a huge list I wanted this year, but I managed to get all I want, and there was plenty to choose from.


One of the special guests was set up, sadly I didn't get a picture of him, and I'm not sure which one it was. I conversed with one of the workers their who was nice. I really had a great time.

 

Some of the great worker at Comic Envy

 Morgan's Comics

Our next stop was to Morgan's comics in West Asheville, where we can be found at least once a month. 

 


 We were greeted by a couple interesting this the storm troopers pictured above, and this two headed snake skeleton pictured below.

 


 
The ever trusty sandwich board that gives us the deets.


At the store was Morgan herself (pictured above). This is an awesome woman. She's runs this amazing store, she's the first female owned comic shop in Western North Carolina, and she's literally the store's hero she came in an saved it. I'm not kidding you can read about it in this Citizen Times article. She's always a pleasure to talk to.

Matt, Morgan's Husband, standing in the new Pokemon store.

The store was celebrating it's new section opening called the Pokemon Sanctuary, it's a little section in the back of their store dedicated to Pokemon.

 

It is a small but mighty store!

One of the people signing there was Hope Larson, who worked on some Batgirl comics.  


And can we talk about Morgan's personalized comic bags? They are so cute!

 


 The Rest of The Day:

Seems Morgan's was not the only spot having fun in West Asheville the Odditurium was also having this fun looking event.


We had a late Chinese Buffet Lunch, then hit up a couple Goodwills and then called it a day. Not a bad one at that.

The Haul:

I utilized my full comic allowance at each store, but only five were for me, the rest were for my comic loving sister who had to work that day. But all in all a good year.

 


  I hope you have a good day, read comics, and God bless.

*Thrifty Geek*

No comments:

Post a Comment